Record Deduplication refers to the act of finding and combining duplicate records.
Database management can be hard, duplicate records can occur deliberately and accidentally, removing these duplicates can take a lot of effort.
The data deduplication feature in Rex allows you to quickly scrub your database clean of any conflicting records.
The combine duplicates function is available for Properties and Contacts. There are a few options for finding and deduplicating these records in Rex - Find Possible Duplicates and Combine Records.
Find Possible Duplicates (Contacts Only)
The find possible duplicates function is available for Contacts only (Rex doesn't let you enter duplicate properties unless you edit the address after editing).
There are a couple of ways to find duplicate contacts - they're listed below:
- Find possible duplicates (Contact Record View)
- Find possible duplicates (Contact List View)
Rex will search your entire database to find any records with a matching name, phone number and email address. It will then give you the option of merging selected records.
Follow the steps below to Find Possible Duplicates and Depuplicate them.
- Open the contact record
- From the top, go to More > Find Possible Duplicates
- Select from the options available (Name, Phone and/or Email) > click Search
- Please Note: This is an 'and' search, so the more options you choose, the less likely it is to find duplicates (Unless they have the same name, email and phone number).
- All the matching records will now be displayed
- Select the primary record > Select the 'include in merge' checkbox under each duplicate for the records you want to merge > click Combine Records
Rex will now combine the records selected and add all the information into the Primary Record. You will see a summary of the records merged and the new primary record.
Go to the primary record and review the merged information - you may need to remove some of the details and tidy up the record.
Rex also allows you to combine any number of records manually. You can do this from the Contacts list view and the Properties list view.
Once you've filtered down your contact/property records to find the appropriate records, select the records you want to merge, click the Combine Records button in the dropdown menu
You will then be able to follow the same process as above to merge the records.
All Record Depuplication
There is also an option to do all of this using the Record Deduplication section in the Admin area. (This option is only available for users with the required permissions)
- From the left side menu, go to Admin > Record Deduplication
- Select the match criteria > click Show Duplicates
- Click Resolve on any of the results
- The records will now be displayed > Select the primary record > Select the checkbox for the records you want to merge > click Combine Records
Please Note: This is an 'and' search, so the more options you choose, the less likely it is to find duplicates (Unless they have the same name, email and phone number).
- All "Combine Records" dialogue lists are shown in order of their creation date - so the first entry is always the oldest in the system.
- The current record that the "Combine Records" dialogue was launched from will be chosen by default as the primary record in the "Combine Records" dialogue list.
- If you combine Property records that have currently published listings attached to them, they will all merge to attach to the one Property record. This could cause issues with your current listings, so please be careful when combining properties.